The College and Career Mentor Program supports low-income seniors who are the first in their family to go to college or any postsecondary education, including professional/technical certificates and academic degrees. Students are matched with community volunteer “mentors” who walk them through writing powerful personal statements, the college and scholarship search, selection, application and decision-making processes.
If you are planning on going to college or trade school but unsure how to navigate the application and financial aid process, we are here to help you. It is a privilege for students to be in this limited program, but it is also an honor to come alongside your journey in this important transition. Come see Ms. Lewis in the Career Center (located in the WHS Library) with any questions.
Seniors in the College Mentor Program are:
- The "first generation" in their family to attend college (not including siblings).
- Eligible for the free/reduced lunch program.
- On track to graduate with a minimum GPA of 2.5
- Planning on continuing their education or career training beyond high school.
Volunteer Mentors in the College Mentor Program:
- Volunteer weekly or biweekly to meet with their mentee.
- Are attorneys, physicians, educators, CEOs, engineers, and artists (among many other professions) with a heart of service, dedicated to helping you reach your goals.
- Are here to assist you and "show you the door," but you have to put in the hard work and effort required to walk through.
The Overall Commitment:
- Meet weekly or biweekly between September and May, 1:1 OR in a group (depending on the cohort you are placed in) with your mentor. These 1-2 hours per week are dedicated to applying for financial aid (FAFSA or WASFA), applying to college or trade school, writing personal statement essays, and applying for scholarships.
- Must attend Meet & Greet Event, September
- Must attend Mid-year Check-in, February
- Must attend End-of-Year Celebration, May
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.