AVID® 11th Grade
Class Core Values and Behaviors
Our mission in 11th grade is to support students through mock college and financial aid applications, create a portfolio of items that will be used their senior year when they do apply, and examine a career pathway that can help direct their post high school decisions.
Our core values are Grit/Resiliency, Self-Advocacy, and Collaboration. We know these things will help students in their lives, every day. We are going to teach students behaviors to help them put these values into practice.
- What do we mean by Resilience/Grit? We see Grit as following through on the tasks worth your time and effort.
Behavior 1: We build our skill at Resilience and Grit when we plan for the potential obstacles in our path, practice the behaviors that have helped us successfully navigate similar obstacles in the past, and search for solutions that can have a long-term impact on our ability to reach our goals.
- What do we mean by Self-Advocacy? We see Self-Advocacy as building the confidence to ask for help, learning about others, and being an active participant in the events that affect you.
Behavior 2: We build our skill at Self-Advocacy when we identify pathways available to us and examine the effectiveness of each path in helping us reach our goals.
- What do we mean by Collaboration? We see Collaborations as acknowledging that you affect others through your behaviors, making an effort to get to know the people around you, and putting their needs first.
Behavior 3: We build our skill at Collaboration when we leverage our relationships toward learning and success at college preparation, create new relationships that will fill the gaps our previous relationships cannot, and become an effective support for others going through the same struggles for personal success.
AVID® Yearly Requirements
- Weekly Relational Capacity Building
- Weekly Tutorial
- Note-taking and studying process
- Weekly Binder Check (One set of focused notes per core class/per day)
- Quarterly Socratic Seminars
- Grade reflections middle of each quarter
- Community service (50 hours or Join a Club)
- College Field Trip
- Letter to Self
- Time Capsule Additions
11th Grade AVID® Requirements
- Practice college and FAFSA applications
- Thank you letter to teacher/s
- Regular SAT/ACT practice
- Take the PSAT and ASVAB
- Conflict Styles Assessment
- Job shadow(s)
- Personal statement essay drafts
- Senior posters for AVID EOY celebration
- SAT and ACT (optional)
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.