WSD plays a vital role in student learning and the development of our student’s social, emotional, and interpersonal skills. To ensure the academic success and emotional well-being of our students, we foster a safe and thriving environment where students feel empowered to express their concerns and know their voices are heard. Reporting programs, like Vector Alert, are designed to provide students and all community members with a trusted avenue for seeking help and reporting concerns when issues arise involving student wellness or safety. Still, many students and adults are reluctant to report information, even when reporting platforms are made available. In an effort to improve and encourage reporting, we are taking the following steps
- Encourage bystanders to report concerns for the wellness and safety of themselves or others. In addition to reporting concerns of school violence encourage reporting issues where a student may need additional support, including bullying, drug use, self-harm, suicidal ideation, and depression.
- Make reporting accessible and safe for the reporting community. Reduce reporting hesitancy by ensuring anonymity and confidentiality.
- Demonstrate a timely response and be transparent about the actions taken in response to reported concerns. Instill trust through action.
- Make reporting an easily recognizable part of a thriving school climate.
- Create an environment where reporting is valued and respected. Build and sustain trusted student-staff relationships. Strive for a climate of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
We continuously work to defend our schools and students against a rapidly evolving and unique set of threats, hazards, and security challenges and collaborate to build a more secure and resilient school environment where our students feel safe and know they belong.