As children enter Kindergarten, Wenatchee Public Schools welcome students and parents to their new community! Within the first days of school, Kindergarten students and their parents learn about WaKIDS. WaKIDS is a state-required process to support learning in Kindergarten. Although it's a state assessment, think of it as a supportive communication process to help your child bridge from home to school as easily as possible.
WaKIDS has three components:
- The Family Connection component of WaKIDS provides an opportunity for families to meet individually with their child’s kindergarten teacher at the beginning of the school year. These one-on-one meetings are intended to welcome families to school and provide a safe environment for families to speak freely with the teacher. They help families and teachers begin to build relationships so that they can work together to help children be successful in school, and
- Teachers observe children during everyday activities. This helps teachers find out what each child knows and can do at the beginning of the school year. Knowing more about children's entering skills and strengths helps teachers and parents work together to support student growth in kindergarten, and
- Collaboration between Kindergarten teachers and early learning providers.
The Entering Kindergarten Family Brochure explains what to expect in the WaKIDS program. To best support your child, your new teacher will learn about your child by asking you and your child to complete a fun Introducing Me! booklet. To support you, here's an informative resource, 'Characteristics of Children Entering Kindergarten' English Español.
When learning about your child, your teacher may ask for your assistance. A secure way to communicate with your teacher is to download the MyTeachingStrategies® Family. Access the login page here or download the app at (Apple App Store or Google Play). Family members who are granted access to MyTeachingStrategies® Family by their child's teacher can set up their user account and log in to MyTeachingStrategies® Family to access resources shared by the teacher and to send the teacher observations from home. For next steps, here's a supportive tutorial English Español
This page last reviewed on June 20, 2023. Please contact Karen Allen with comments.
- Assessment Schedules
- Elementary Report Cards
- Graduation Pathways
- High School and Beyond Plan
- Local Test Events
- Parent and Student Resources
- Staff Directory
- Staff Resources
- State Assessment
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.