Phase 1 - WSD Capital Improvement Program
Capital Bonds Cost: $66.5 million
State Assistance: $15.98 Million
PROJECT 1 LINCOLN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL $26.9 million
Lincoln Elementary, built in 1956, was the second oldest school in the District, and had outgrown the facility, housing overflow students in 10 portable classrooms. The Lincoln modernization, additions and site improvements project completely remodeled the existing facility and added windows, lighting, bathrooms, flooring, heating and air conditioning, a gym, library and a third classroom wing. The new wing replaced the ten portable classrooms. State school construction assistance is estimated at $5.3 million.
PROJECT 2 WASHINGTON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL $31.5 million
Washington elementary, built in 1953, was the oldest school in the district and had outgrown the facility, housing overflow students in portables. State School Construction Assistance is estimated at $5 million.
- The single corridor design prohibited remodeling construction while school was in session due to noise and construction danger.
- A new school has been built on the same site in a new location and the old school was demolished when the new one was completed. This prevented having to move students somewhere else during the school year.
- As part of the new school, the entire student drop off and pickup area has been renovated and reconfigured on the existing site to increase student safety. State matching funds are estimated at $5 million.
PROJECT 3 SPECIAL EDUCATION and EARLY CHILDHOOD
LEARNING CENTER $6.6 million
Located next to Washington Elementary School, this facility was built in 1959. The building has been modernized to fully meet code, had new mechanical and electrical systems, fully updated roofing, insulation, doors and windows, provided handicapped accessibility and new finishes. State matching funds to be determined.
PROJECT 4 PIONEER MIDDLE SCHOOL GYMNASIUM: $8.4 million
Pioneer Middle School was remodeled in 2005, but the gym was left unchanged from its original construction in 1956. This bond modernized the gymnasium and locker rooms, addressed interior and exterior safety and infrastructure improvements, which included new outdoor grandstands and a new synthetic turf field.